Peak District Genealogy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Turner family

Go down

Turner family Empty Turner family

Post by kbryt Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:41 am

Hello
I am engaged in research into Cora Josephine Turner, daughter of Fredric Turner, grandaughter of Samuel Turner of monument fame.
I am coming to Buxton in March for further research at the local studies centre, to find out more if I can re the Turner family, and some of Coras friends or relatives; I would like to know if the families, Lepper, Cox, Bills are still in the area.
Bills family had a butcher shop in Buxton pre WW1, I have a photo of it.
Cora Turner is one of Buxtons most notable daughters, yet when I was last there, some 20 yearsago,the Local study centre had no knowledge of her nor seemingly any interest.
I hope to rekindle some.
In 1909 she married the artist and author Jan Gordon, and through the 1920s and 30s they became something of a celebrity couple of artist/authors/travellers.
It is a mystery to me why she is unknown in her natal town.
A biography is well under way, and this year I have republished one of their books; it made more of a fuss in France than in Buxton
Strange is it not?
Any one interested can read more at my website

kbryt

Back to top Go down

Turner family Empty turner/gordon website link

Post by kbryt Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:43 am

my website refused to come up on screen, janandcoragordon.co .uk or google jan and cora Gordon

kbryt

Back to top Go down